Restricting audiences in Media Hopper
When you upload a video to Media Hopper, you are given 3 options that determine who will be able to see it:
- Private (only you)
- Unlisted (anyone with the link)
- Published (the video is published in a channel; visibility depends on the settings associated with that channel).
Private/Unlisted videos are not associated with a channel.
Published videos must be associated with a channel.
Channels have 4 levels of visibility:
- Open and Restricted (viewers need to be logged in to EASE).
- Private (viewers need to be logged in to EASE and manually added to the channel).
- Public (anyone can view the video)
What’s the difference between “Open” and “Restricted”?
- “Open” means admin level users and channel members can add videos to the channel.
- “Restricted” means only channel members can add videos to the channel.
For most practical purposes, there’s not a lot of difference.
Typical use cases
“Only staff and students at the University should be able to see this video”
Create a channel and set it as Open. Alternatively, add the video to a channel that is already set as Open.
Viewers will then have to be logged in to EASE in order to see the video.
“Only students taking my course should be able to see the video”
In these cases, it’s better to host your videos on the Panopto RecEd site. This ensures that videos are only available to students enrolled on that particular course in Euclid.